Queer as......camp.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Are you one of those gay men who have well-meaning [straight] friends who have setting you up on dates as their leisure pursuit? Well, I am one of those poor things.

I've been set up on dates a million and one times by my straight female friends. And with these blind dates, they would all tell me beforehand about how gorgeous a guy was, or how they were drooling at this guy but were disappointed to find out that he was gay, or that this guy was definitely gonna click with me. You get the picture. And then, when date comes, you have this jacked up expectations of your date...only for you to be disappointed that he was none of all those you've pictured in your mind. [You are actually "lucky" to be able to beg off a date earlier on if you were wise enough to exchange pictures or at least talk on the phone to get a sensing of your prospective date. But without these, boy, oh boy, what risky business you're getting yourself into...!]

And I'm not even limiting this slip up to straight friends. Some of my gay friends have likewise done the same. It's as if they have a black book of all their friends that THEY would not date themselves...and then ready to throw 'em to me at the very instance of my getting converted to singlehood. After all, someone's garbage may perhaps be someone else's treasure. Hay.

God. When will these inappropriate dates end?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home